Slowly We Roth Magazine #8

Cover 8Following paths already paved well by the likes of Amon Amarth, Turisas, Finntroll, or countrymen Skyforger, Varang Nord was founded last year, or better said re-founded after a 2004-2008 period when it was active under a different moniker and even released a full-length album, and they've already scored a deal with Ukrainian Metal Scrap Records which re-released their debut EP, previously self-released by the band. 6 tracks, a bit over 20 minutes of playing time, offering a solid slice of Viking Metal with highlights on the accordion parts. A heavy, well rhythmed Metal with heavy influences from Melodic Death Metal, with native tongue lyrics, I guess this one will do well in their home lands but all in all I think it needs something more to break the ice internationally; it's good they've tested the seas with an EP rather than throwing out a full-length, but now it's time to prove what they are worthy of. Fire of the North will probably catch the attention of abovementioned bands, but it's only the beginning, the music needs more hooks and the accordion parts need more personality in order to impress, on this EP it's a nice surprise, but it's influence on the general music is still not as important as it should be. I like the fact the lyrics are translated in English, too, the listener will get a closer insight of their music.

7/10
Adrian (Pest Webzine/Slowly We Roth Magazine)

object1205369700

total metal records logo

another side records logo

PNGLogo1

total metal pr agency logo

total metal distribution logo